Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Optum Internship Blog #7

Post #7
Date(s): 7/29/19 - 7/31/19
Activities: Networking Sessions
Technical Information: Optum Presentation Format
Reflection: For the most part of my high school life, I was always split between the career path I wanted to take for my life, my parents wanted me to take a direction more towards either IT or Healthcare, with options of becoming either software engineer or a doctor. Neither of those careers, particularly interested me since I didn’t really have an interest in these pathways primarily because it felt like the standard, and most of my peers were following this path. I wanted something more unique, they may not be as high paying but is fulfilling and has immense growth potential, that's how I found the career path of Biomedical Engineering which is something I latched onto and my experience working for Optum only further solidified my belief, that this would be the way. 


The Internship at Optum, helped further my belief that the Biomedical Engineering pathway was the perfect combination of the Engineering/IT Field alongside the Healthcare field, to the extent that it would personally interest me, and I also wouldn’t be essentially following the herd mentality of most of my peers. 


In fact, I asked my manager, Janet Saldana, who is a Biomedical Engineer major, about her experience and advise for me, when I told her that this was the path I would pursue. Moreover, the fact that Optum was mostly filled with a variety of engineers, but a heavy number being Biomedical, inspired me since my experience at Optum made me want to work at a company similar to this, and I knew that pursuing this path would take me to a more satisfying and fulfilling place in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment